Who doesn’t love banana bread? It’s sweet, moist, and perfect for breakfast or a healthy snack. It’s hard to believe but I was 15 when I first tried banana bread on a student exchange to British Columbia in Canada. How could I’ve survived all those years without it?! Well, who knows, but somehow I did. 😉 Since then I’ve become a real banana bread addict and today we had this vegan banana-quinoa bread with chia jam. It’s hearty, loaded with banana flavor and so easy to make! Plus it’s packed with tons of vitamins! Who knew that something this delicious and sweet could be super healthy at the same time.
It all starts with three overripe mashed bananas (the riper the better because than they’re really sweet). I then added cooked quinoa, whole wheat flour, rolled oats, flax seeds, cinnamon, and some almond milk. To sweeten the banana bread I used two tablespoons of agave. Besides, I also stirred in half a cup chopped almonds to give it a bit of a crunch. You only need one bowl to make this banana-quinoa bread, so no piles of dirty dishes.
But the best is yet to come: We ate it along with 10 minute chia berry jam. This jam doesn’t need any kind of sugar and it’s ready in no time! All you need to do is cook frozen or fresh mixed berries in a small pot until they begin to get smooth. Mash them with a fork or a potato masher, but make sure to leave some parts of the fruits intact. Then all you have to do is add some chia seeds and cook it for another 5 minutes. This jam really couldn’t be easier! Plus it’s really healthy! The only downside is that unlike traditional jam, you need to consume it within a couple of days. But I guess this shouldn’t be much of a problem.
I’m sure you’ll love this vegan banana-quinoa bread with chia jam as much as I do! 🙂 Hope you all have a great start into the week!
As always, I love hearing from you guys. So leave me a quick comment below or talk to me on Facebook or Instagram if you like the recipe.
VEGAN BANANA-QUINOA BREAD WITH CHIA JAMCourse: Breakfast, Dessert, SnacksCuisine: American
This easy vegan banana-quinoa bread with chia jam is perfect for breakfast or a healthy snack in between meals. It’s packed with vitamins and antioxidants!
- For the vegan banana-quinoa bread:
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons agave
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
4 tablespoons water
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1/4 cup almond milk
- For the berry- chia jam:
2 cups frozen or fresh berries I used frozen mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries, cherries, and strawberries)
3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (180 °C).
- Place the grated flax seeds and the water in a small bowl and allow to thicken.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in the flax seeds.
- Grease a bread tin with vegan margarine and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Allow to cool down before removing it from the bread tin.
- Meanwhile make the berry-chia jam: Place the frozen or fresh berries in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Lightly mash the berries with a fork or a potato masher. Make sure to leave some parts of the fruits intact. Stir in the chia seeds and cook for another 5-8 minutes until the mixture is thick enough.
- Serve the banana-quinoa bread together with the berry-chia jam.