This vegan cashew sour cream is a smooth, creamy, tangy spread. It requires just 5 ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes. You won’t even be able to tell it’s dairy-free. Enjoy it on vegan chili, sandwiches, burrito bowls, salads, and more!
WHAT IS VEGAN SOUR CREAM MADE OF?
This particular recipe is centered around soaked cashews. This is my favorite way to make vegan sour cream because it creates a deliciously creamy texture! The ingredients include:
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CASHEW SOUR CREAM
Let’s take a look at the 3 simple steps involved in creating this dairy-free sour cream.
- First, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Second, place cashews in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the cashews. Soak for 20 minutes. After, drain the water.
- Next, add the soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, unsweetened plain nondairy yogurt, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, and salt to a high-speed blender. Blend the ingredients together until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
HOW LONG DOES VEGAN SOUR CREAM LAST?
This vegan sour cream will last for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Be sure to keep it stored in a mason jar or another airtight container. To make the sour cream last even longer, store it in the freezer for up to one month.
- Do not skip the soaking process! You may be tempted to skip ahead and just add all of the ingredients to a blender. However, soaking the cashews is an essential step for achieving a smooth, creamy texture. The cashews will retain the hot water and become plump in size. This is greatly beneficial during the blending process.
- Do not omit the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or nutritional yeast. These are key ingredients that contribute to the sour, tangy, slightly-cheesy flavor.
- The plain unsweetened nondairy yogurt is optional, although recommended. The recipe still tastes delicious without it.
- What goes well with vegan sour cream? Pretty much any savory recipe! I love adding it on top of my vegan sweet potato black bean chili. It’s also great in sandwiches, burritos, burrito bowls, salads, and soups. Also, try adding fresh dill to the vegan sour cream for extra flavor.
VEGAN CASHEW SOUR CREAMCourse: DipCuisine: American
This vegan cashew sour cream requires just 5 ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes. Enjoy it on top of vegan chili, sandwiches, soup, burrito bowls, salads, and more. It’s easy, creamy, and delicious!
1 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp plain nondairy yogurt (optional)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Place raw cashews in a bowl. Pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 20 minutes. After, drain the water completely.
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Transfer sour cream to a mason jar or airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.
- The sour cream should keep for 1 week.