You don’t need a lot of bells and whistles for a fantastic yet easy vegan French toast recipe. It’s all about the golden-brown surface, cinnamon, and syrup. A nice amount of fruit or fruit salad is always a plus, too. I prefer garbanzo (chickpea) flour, as it yields an nice golden color, and since it’s made of bean, is a nice foil to the bread.
Insanely Easy Vegan French Toast
1/2 cup garbanzo flour or light whole grain flour (such as spelt or whole wheat pastry)
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or other nondairy milk of choice
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
vegan buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
4 average sized slices whole grain bread
cinnamon, for sprinkling
seasonal fresh fruit or fruit salad
maple syrup, for serving
- Combine the flour with the nondairy milk in a shallow bowl and whisk until smooth and lump-free. Adjust with either more milk or more flour, as different flours with have varying degrees of absorption. You want a consistency of what you remember as scrambled eggs.
- Stir in the maple syrup and optional nutritional yeast.
- Heat a wide nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the Earth Balance. Let the skillet get nice and hot, though not to the point where it’s smoking.
- Dip each slice of bread into the flour mixture, coating both sides generously but not excessively.
- With the average skillet, you’ll probably be able to cook two slices at a time. Cook each slice on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Keep warm while cooking the next two slices.
- Arrange two slices of the French toast on each plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon, embellish with fruit, and pass around the maple syrup.